Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any song

For Nightcore discussion in general.
User avatar
HKO2006
Posts: 768
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 8:30 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any song

Post by HKO2006 » July 13th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Arguments I think up from time to time, I think I should just make a thread to mark them down.

Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance songs

1. Literal meaning of Nightcore
“Nightcore means that we are the core of the night, so you’ll dance all night long”
“Nightcore has become a style of music, a way to make the music happier – ‘happy hardcore’ as they say."
Plus the website name of Nigthcore
:!: Nightcore is Hardcore :!: (biography), the first three CDs and news
So Nightcore is Dance music that sounds like Happy Hardcore.

2. Original Nightcore songs
Original REMASTERED by Maikel631: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 553EB99A95


All Nightcore's songs are dance songs.

3. Fan-made Nightcore
Nightcore by Maikel631 (1 - 200): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8254439740
Mimicking Nightcore's style, nightcore fans use dance songs only to make fan-made nightcore.

For the genres that can be called nightcore after being sped up, please read How to make Nightcore (Nightcore tutorial) UPDATED http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4900

The problem of calling any sped up song nightcore

1. No literal connection
No literal connection between sped up and nightcore, does not explain why nightcore is sped up nor its characteristics.

2. Sped up songs of different genres are different genres
The following two songs are not the same genres, so do the sped up version.
Rock                 Dance

Rock (sped up)            Nightcore


More examples
Pop                 Hands up

Alt. Rock               Hands up

We have a glorified name for sped up dance songs which is Nightcore and Nightcore applies to dance songs only.

The only thing common in sped up version is that they are both sped up. And some people may think they are both nightcore because of that.

3. Sped up =/= nightcore
We won't call frozen meat ice cream even they are both frozen.
By calling all sped up songs nightcore just because they are sped up is like calling frozen meat ice cream just because they are both frozen.

However, some people may think sped up version = nightcore, thus sped up = nightcore.

4. Sped up version =/= nightcore
Again, we won't call frozen meat ice cream even they are both frozen.
We know that dance songs x sped up = Nightcore.
Calling any sped up songs nightcore regardless of its genre is suggesting any song x sped up = NIGHTCORE version.
It is like calling frozen meat a ICE CREAM version meat, which is as stupid as it sounds.

This is the problem of using nightcore to substitute sped up. The reason why people may think this way is because they are not treating nightcore as a distinctive genre or style of music. Instead, they see nightcore as another name of speeding up. Which means they are not nightcore fans but sped up <insert genre here> fans.

However, some people think nightcore should not be limited to dance/trance.

5. Fake nightcore is not nightcore

It is a common fallacy among fake nightcore fans that nightcore should not be limited to dance/trance only. But this makes no sense. For example, Rock without guitar and drums is not Rock and Nightcore without high pitched vocal and Happy Hardcore beats is not Nightcore. So fake nightcore fans use Pop, Rock, Rap, etc to make "Nightcore", is like they don't like to use guitar and drums to make Rock so they use violin and piano instead, and they still think they are making/listening to "Rock". Also, fake nightcore fans have no idea of the origin of Nightcore and nightcore, which makes them excluded from being Nightcore fans. Another example is, same as you can't use Yahoo or Bing to 'google', you can't use any song to nightcore.

6. Opinions don't make nonsenses sensible
Can't deny there are quite a lot people believe the nonsenses I just pointed out. But does it make nonsenses sensible?


7. Different people find different music enjoyable
People who don't enjoy dance music would not enjoy sped up dance music nor people who don't enjoy metal would not enjoy sped up metal.
When everything is minimized to Nightcore - song name, you can't tell which one you are going to get when you search Nightcore - Poison. I would prefer Maikel's one and avoid the one from Alice Cooper while fans of Alice Cooper would avoid the one from Maikel. Misusing nightcore when naming a song is effectively forcing EDM fans to listen to non-EDM and non-EDM fans to listen to EDM.

Examples of when that happens (see comments, even more if you scroll down)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quzsv6e ... lnrdtzbl14 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quzsv6e ... xrdv52al04

IMPORTANT
The idea of this thread is not tell to you stop to listening/liking/making to any (sped up) music, just to let you understand the differences between nightcore and all other sped up music. And hopefully you will not misrepresent what Nightcore is in the future.

Suggestions
1. Do not use "nightcore version" or only use it when referring real nightcore.
2. If you are making non-dance sped up music but somehow named them nightcore, you are advised to name them like Artist - Song Name (Sped Up), (Speed Mix) or (Speed Edit) instead. If you are desperately want to label them nightcore, please do add the actual genre like Nightcore - Song Name [Genre].
Here is a speed mix I like.


It is good to see people can listen to what they enjoy. Just a little more classifications can help everyone get what they want more easily. Thank you very very much.

For more info about Nightcore, please visit the Nightcore meme
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nightcore

Other threads Things to add (no need to read)
partial logic in 3, 4
https://plus.google.com/105171945462921 ... CGrJhPEDPG
my goal is to make music happier, better and to entertain other people as long as i succeed in that i don't care what genre i am using vs 5.
Nightcore music in 2014 instead of 2002 they wound't use genres that were popular in 2000's and early 90's, they would use music that is popular today. vs nightcore history, scooter
No, Nightcore made sped up dance songs is to achieve the pitched up vocal in Scooter's songs ie Nessaja and Ramp! (The Logical Song).
You mentioned 'my goal is to make music happier, better and to entertain other people as long as i succeed in that i don't care what genre i am using.' Well it DOES matter, consider 6

You also mentioned 'Nightcore music in 2014 instead of 2002 they wound't use genres that were popular in 2000's and early 90's, they would use music that is popular today.' No, Nightcore made sped up dance songs is to achieve the pitched up vocal in Scooter's songs ie Nessaja and Ramp! (The Logical Song). You made this assumption by ignore the hardcore part of nightcore just keep emphasizing the 'happier sound' part. By this logic, I can assumpt will still be hardcore music even started in 2014 instead of 2002 because there is a 'core' in Nightcore for a reason, it is hardcore, it is 'the core of the night, so you’ll dance all night long”.

Another point you are right is that we should be talking to the big channels with 100k subs not a random channel with 7 subs. The problem is, they don't care, willfully don't care, they care only the AdSense and getting more subs than Maikel6311 (and they succeed)

The reason why this track should not be tagged nightcore is when both songs are named Nightcore - Poison, you don't know what music you are getting under you hear it. And I am sure I know the one from Maikel than this one. I am not saying everyone should like Maikel's, everyone has their own taste so it is perfectly fine if you like this one more. But just to point out you will get into the less desirable ones as all the sped up songs are named nightcore in stead of dance/trance only.
Last edited by HKO2006 on September 27th, 2016, 1:10 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

User avatar
Fernandez
Posts: 128
Joined: September 15th, 2013, 8:25 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by Fernandez » July 18th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Excellent thread. I would have to say that this is much clearer than Kitashi's thread in fact (no offense to her if she still comes here).

I've said this before, but these have always been my thoughts. The majority of Youtubers simply see nightcore as a meme and not a distinct genre, and are thus under the impression that they could use any song.

When I type "nightcore universe" on Google, the result for NU shows up, and this is what appears under it:
Nightcore Universe is the BIGGEST Nightcore fan community on the web! For fans of the original Norwegian DJs and the YouTube phenomenon.
Would it be possible to change "Youtube phenomenon" to something like "nightcore genre"? And if so, would it help give incoming people a better idea that nightcore is supposed to be a distinct genre and you can't use any song?

I think that when people see "Youtube phenomenon", they think nightcore is just a phenomenon, and consequently think that they can use any song.
Image
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
User avatar
emilemil1
Posts: 544
Joined: July 30th, 2014, 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by emilemil1 » July 31st, 2014, 1:51 am

A word of warning: I tend to write long posts. Apologies if it's too much of a wall-o'-text :P

---

After much consideration I've settled on the simple definition that it equals "sped up". I realize that this is not the traditional meaning, but it's the way I see it used most of the time, and to me it makes the most sense at this point in time. I'll list pretty much every reason why I've decided to think this way (in no particular order):

1. If you limit the genre to a specific few, then you get the ever-so-annoying issue of what genre a song belongs to (or doesn't belong to). One person might consider a song to be a trance/dance track while another disagrees, so in that case, is it Nightcore if it's sped up? One person will say yes, another will say no.

This is why I prefer more scientific, more rock-solid definitions. "sped-up" works really well for this since it's easy to understand and not subjective, so there will be no arguments over what is and isn't Nightcore.

(In case you can't tell, I don't like the concept of genres at all. I always categorize my tracks (internally) based on BPM, instruments and personal feeling, not some fuzzy genre "definition" that no one can ever agree on.)

2. Words change, the people using them change, and their meanings are therefore never set in stone. For example, "bully" used to mean something like "darling" or "sweetheart" in the 16th century. Today... it's not even close. That's an extreme example, but I hope you get my point. What hko describes is certainly what used to be the definition, but in my opinion it doesn't have to be that way today. If the meaning of Nightcore has changed, then I'm not going to fight that change.

3. There are a lot of different definitions of Nightcore floating around, but almost all of them have one thing in common: The track needs to have higher tempo and/or pitch. Since this is the part pretty much everyone agrees on, it's also the only part that makes sense as a definition in my opinion.

Though subjectively, I find that a change to tempo can't go without a change to pitch, and vice versa, which is why I tend to just say "higher tempo and pitch", or in other words just "sped-up". If there is a way to increase the tempo or pitch separately, and not end up with ear-rape as a result, then I haven't found it yet. As soon as someone shows me that way, I'll change my definition to include the 'or'. ^^

4. The argument that Nightcore is defined as mimicking the original Nightcore group by doing the same speed-up to the same genre is a valid one, and one that I stuck with for a long time, but ultimately I found it lacking. The first reason why is tied to my first point, that people will disagree on which genres Nightcore actually... Nightcored, and also which songs belong to those genres.

Secondly, what if Nightcore suddenly uploads a video where they've Nightcored a completely different genre? Do we just change the definition to include that genre, even though we were absolutely certain that it couldn't be Nightcore a day ago? Or do we tell Nightcore that "no, that's not Nightcore!"

It just... doesn't work out to me in the end. It's too volatile of a definition

5. It's a good point that when you search for Nightcore, you should only get what you expect, speed-ups of the genres you recognize from other Nightcore uploads. This however is just an issue with how most people (myself included) name videos. We will commonly name it "Nightcore - Poison" whether it's by Alice Cooper, Groove Coverage, or a remix/cover by whoever.

However, there are also some who choose to name them something like "Nightcore - Poison (Tune Up! Remix)", and clearly puts the producer of the remix in the title, making it very clear if you're searching for a specific one. Others even go as far as to write it like this: "Groove Coverage - Poison (Tune Up Remix) (Nightcore Version)", making it absolutely clear that it's not an Alice Cooper track. That last one is an actual example by the way, you can search for it.

I've considered moving to a similar way of writing out titles many times, but I've never done it because it's not tradition. Nevertheless I think it's a better way of doing it, since it stirs less confusion.

What I'm getting at is that you can call it Nightcore and not lose any information because of it. Also, it's common practice to use the same naming scheme for Trance, like: "Trance - Lost In Space", for pretty much anything even remotely related to Trance. You don't know what sub-genre you're getting (I know that I don't like every single form of Trance), you don't know what artist you're getting, and you often don't know if it's a remix or not. The same thing goes for other big overarching genres like Rock, Metal, House, you name it. Of course, Nightcore is even less informative than a plain genre name, but I don't find it inhibiting enough to artificially lock the word to a few genres for that reason.

If we do that, then those other genres will all need their own names. Some have already (I've seen Nightstep), but in most cases we'll need to add (and agree on) a whole slew of words for every possible sped-up genre, which is just a whole lot of stuff added for a little bit of clarity. Wouldn't it be easier to just write it as "Trance - Poison (Nightcore)", or something like that?

Also, just to give one last counterargument, though I acknowledge that this doesn't apply to everyone. When I search for a speed-up of a song that I know exists (such as Tune Up!'s "Poison" remix), I search for "Poison Tune Up Nightcore" or "Groove Coverage Poison Tune Up Nightcore", not just "Poison Nightcore". That's not because I know that Alice Cooper's version exists, but because I know exactly what I want so I might as well make sure that it's at the top of my results right away. On the other hand, the chance of me randomly searching for "-insert keyword- Nightcore" hoping to find a song I'll like... is pretty much zero.

Additionally, the chance of me liking a Nightcore I randomly searched for and found, even if I know that it's in the ballpark of genres that I like, is still very low. So it doesn't really help me to find new music by changing the definition for this reason.

---

/IWriteTooMuchForNoReason ^^
User avatar
HKO2006
Posts: 768
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 8:30 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by HKO2006 » July 31st, 2014, 1:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, it is really refreshing.
emilemil1 wrote:1. If you limit the genre to a specific few, then you get the ever-so-annoying issue of what genre a song belongs to (or doesn't belong to). One person might consider a song to be a trance/dance track while another disagrees, so in that case, is it Nightcore if it's sped up? One person will say yes, another will say no.

This is why I prefer more scientific, more rock-solid definitions. "sped-up" works really well for this since it's easy to understand and not subjective, so there will be no arguments over what is and isn't Nightcore.
Sounds palliative, forgoing genres just to avoid concerning about it but leads to bigger problems (problem 2, 3, 4 and 6).

Genre is not subjective, it is not a problem for most people to differ dance/trance and pop/rock. Usually the grey area is the Minor nightcore (see http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4900 for more info). But with the examples given in the new nightcore tutorial, it is a lot easier for people to learn different genres. So better to use it to solve the problem than avoiding it.

If it is real problem of whether a song should be called nightcore, just ask here http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1350 It is everyone's freedom to call anything anything (despite problem 2 and 3) so call whatever you feel like to, I won't get mad.
emilemil1 wrote:(In case you can't tell, I don't like the concept of genres at all. I always categorize my tracks (internally) based on BPM, instruments and personal feeling, not some fuzzy genre "definition" that no one can ever agree on.)
BPM, instruments are exactly what make up (part of) the definition of musical genres. Personal feeling also helps at some point (unless they find a cheerful Eurobeat song sad). There is no reason to ignore music genres but good things if you do concern about the genres (also good for your audience).If you know the genres, you (and your audience) can find more similar songs and potentially you will like them.
emilemil1 wrote:2. Words change, the people using them change, and their meanings are therefore never set in stone. For example, "bully" used to mean something like "darling" or "sweetheart" in the 16th century. Today... it's not even close. That's an extreme example, but I hope you get my point. What hko describes is certainly what used to be the definition, but in my opinion it doesn't have to be that way today. If the meaning of Nightcore has changed, then I'm not going to fight that change.
Yup, we can't change people's minds, letting them all realize why sped up anime OP/ED is not nightcore and the fact that there are more fake nightcore channels/subs/videos/communities than the real ones but here, one of the only places that real nightcore has left, I want to keep nightcore as it is and hopefully find other nightcore lovers.
emilemil1 wrote:3. There are a lot of different definitions of Nightcore floating around, but almost all of them have one thing in common: The track needs to have higher tempo and/or pitch. Since this is the part pretty much everyone agrees on, it's also the only part that makes sense as a definition in my opinion.
Similar to the data loss in transcoding, this is the result of info loss in human communications. Like how 10000 hours to master became 10000 hours to learn which is not true.

More examples
Meaning of trademarks weakens over time
http://youtu.be/EaVy_QCa1RQ?t=2m36s
The telephone game of how 10000 hours to master became 10000 hours to learn 5:04 to 6:3
http://youtu.be/5MgBikgcWnY?t=5m4s
John Green wrote:Companies like Nintendo and Google are terrified of their trademarks become genericized because those trademarks define them but our community is luck enough to be defined not by its name but by mottos, by the values those words represent and those values don't become less meaningful when they are shared.
Too bad we failed in nightcore's case.
emilemil1 wrote:Though subjectively, I find that a change to tempo can't go without a change to pitch, and vice versa, which is why I tend to just say "higher tempo and pitch", or in other words just "sped-up". If there is a way to increase the tempo or pitch separately, and not end up with ear-rape as a result, then I haven't found it yet. As soon as someone shows me that way, I'll change my definition to include the 'or'. ^^
Use VideoPad then you can change the speed without changing the pitch. Nightcore speed up songs because We liked Scooter and his high-pitched vocals. There were so few of these kinds of artists, we thought that mixing music in our style would be a pleasure for us to listen to. The way they pitch up the songs are by speed up so nightcore is about higher tempo and pitch (of a dance/trance with ~25% higher pitch & tempo).
emilemil1 wrote:4. The argument that Nightcore is defined as mimicking the original Nightcore group by doing the same speed-up to the same genre is a valid one, and one that I stuck with for a long time, but ultimately I found it lacking. The first reason why is tied to my first point, that people will disagree on which genres Nightcore actually... Nightcored, and also which songs belong to those genres.
Not too sure what you are saying, do you mean your audience disagree with your chooses of genres so you don't concern it any more?
emilemil1 wrote:Secondly, what if Nightcore suddenly uploads a video where they've Nightcored a completely different genre? Do we just change the definition to include that genre, even though we were absolutely certain that it couldn't be Nightcore a day ago? Or do we tell Nightcore that "no, that's not Nightcore!"

It just... doesn't work out to me in the end. It's too volatile of a definition
Thought of this myself but sine it never happened I stopped thinking about it. Because nightcore is created by Nightcore so nightcore is tied to them too at some point. The question is like there is a a genre-creating producer, the genre they created is named after them, switchd to other genres/styles, are the new ones the same as the old one they created? I would say no.

For example, IMAKENEWGENRE is a genre-creating EDM producer, the new genre he created is named after his name which is IMAKENEWGENRE. One day producer IMAKENEWGENRE became a Rock producer, would EDM genre IMAKENEWGENRE became Rock too/people should call EDM genre IMAKENEWGENRE is Rock? I would say no.

It is not volatile, it is non-sense if we keep calling the changed genres the same thing.
emilemil1 wrote:5. It's a good point that when you search for Nightcore, you should only get what you expect, speed-ups of the genres you recognize from other Nightcore uploads. This however is just an issue with how most people (myself included) name videos. We will commonly name it "Nightcore - Poison" whether it's by Alice Cooper, Groove Coverage, or a remix/cover by whoever.

However, there are also some who choose to name them something like "Nightcore - Poison (Tune Up! Remix)", and clearly puts the producer of the remix in the title, making it very clear if you're searching for a specific one. Others even go as far as to write it like this: "Groove Coverage - Poison (Tune Up Remix) (Nightcore Version)", making it absolutely clear that it's not an Alice Cooper track. That last one is an actual example by the way, you can search for it.

I've considered moving to a similar way of writing out titles many times, but I've never done it because it's not tradition. Nevertheless I think it's a better way of doing it, since it stirs less confusion.
It is good to see uploaders adding [artist] and [remixers] after song name. One thing the use of "Nightcore Version" and "Nightcore Mix" concerns me is people confuse "Nightcore Version" or "Nightcore Mix" = Sped Up Version and every song can be sped up thus every sped up song is a "Nightcore Version" or "Nightcore Mix" which leads to problem 2 and 3. So I just put Nightcore - Song name [Artist] [Remixer}.
emilemil1 wrote:What I'm getting at is that you can call it Nightcore and not lose any information because of it. Also, it's common practice to use the same naming scheme for Trance, like: "Trance - Lost In Space", for pretty much anything even remotely related to Trance. You don't know what sub-genre you're getting (I know that I don't like every single form of Trance), you don't know what artist you're getting, and you often don't know if it's a remix or not. The same thing goes for other big overarching genres like Rock, Metal, House, you name it. Of course, Nightcore is even less informative than a plain genre name, but I don't find it inhibiting enough to artificially lock the word to a few genres for that reason.
There is no connection in naming of the videos and the genres. By default (fan-made) nightcore is Eurodance, Hands Up, Hard Trance, Trance. So when you view a nightcore video, you should expect these genres. In the ideal world without fake nightcore, it is absolutely fine for me to see Nightcore - Song name. But with that overwhelming number of fake nightcore on YouTube and nightcore being genericized to sped up anything, it is necessary to do so.
emilemil1 wrote:If we do that, then those other genres will all need their own names. Some have already (I've seen Nightstep), but in most cases we'll need to add (and agree on) a whole slew of words for every possible sped-up genre, which is just a whole lot of stuff added for a little bit of clarity. Wouldn't it be easier to just write it as "Trance - Poison (Nightcore)", or something like that?
As long as nightcore sticks with Eurodance, Hands Up, Hard Trance, Trance, I don't have any problem.
emilemil1 wrote:Also, just to give one last counterargument, though I acknowledge that this doesn't apply to everyone. When I search for a speed-up of a song that I know exists (such as Tune Up!'s "Poison" remix), I search for "Poison Tune Up Nightcore" or "Groove Coverage Poison Tune Up Nightcore", not just "Poison Nightcore". That's not because I know that Alice Cooper's version exists, but because I know exactly what I want so I might as well make sure that it's at the top of my results right away. On the other hand, the chance of me randomly searching for "-insert keyword- Nightcore" hoping to find a song I'll like... is pretty much zero.
In my case, it is like not willing to clicking unknown songs (I don't want to give views to them), thinking what I get would be >90% fake nightcore.
But well, it is your choice.

Full thread http://nightcoreuniverse.net/viewtopic. ... 392#p26392
emilemil1 wrote:Additionally, the chance of me liking a Nightcore I randomly searched for and found, even if I know that it's in the ballpark of genres that I like, is still very low. So it doesn't really help me to find new music by changing the definition for this reason.
I guess it is because you are not doing it right? Consider even in nightcore, there are quite a few styles. For me, I like the ones that is like story telling like the following ones.


To find more enjoyable song for me while avoiding the ones I don't, I made the channel spreadsteet. Let me know the style you enjoy maybe I can help finding some more.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

User avatar
emilemil1
Posts: 544
Joined: July 30th, 2014, 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by emilemil1 » July 31st, 2014, 6:29 pm

Genre is not subjective, it is not a problem for most people to differ dance/trance and pop/rock. Usually the grey area is the Minor nightcore
It's the grey area that makes me dislike genres. A definition should be just that, defining, a solid set of rules that can give a solid yes or no answer. Musical genres (generally) doesn't have that. It's very fuzzy and grey around the edges.

---
we can't change people's minds, letting them all realize why sped up anime OP/ED is not nightcore
If someone wants to call a sped-up anime OP Nightcore, I have no problem with it. If someone doesn't want to call it that, then that's also fine. I'd probably not listen to it anway :P

---
Use VideoPad then you can change the speed without changing the pitch
You can change the tempo alone without the pitch, but that usually sounds really bad and unnatural (in my opinion). It works on individual things like just one sound, but in the context of an entire song it's not something I like at all. Changing just the speed can work if you use the correct software (Audacity and WavePad, the ones I use, can't do it), but again it generally sounds pretty bad on many sounds in the song. Changing both equally is the only thing I've found to sound consistently good.

---

What I said about the original Nightcore group is basically the same thing I said in point 1., just from a different point of view.

---
it is non-sense if we keep calling the changed genres the same thing.
This is another reason why I don't like the concept of genres :P But it is unfortunately how it works, it's how it always have worked, because it's just too difficult to keep creating new names whenever a style slightly changes/evolves. I don't think it's something that's ever going to change though, so I'll just accept it.

---
One thing the use of "Nightcore Version" and "Nightcore Mix" concerns me is people confuse "Nightcore Version" or "Nightcore Mix" = Sped Up Version
This is my (and many others) interpretation of the word, so it makes sense to me :P

Also, this is off-topic, but this discussion reminds me a lot of how the word "noob" changed in meaning over time from meaning "unskilled player" to becoming synonymous with "newb", or "new player". I fought that change for a loooong time, but eventually I just went with it ^^

---
As long as nightcore sticks with Eurodance, Hands Up, Hard Trance, Trance, I don't have any problem.
Yeah, these are the genres I know that most people expect (I just call them "traditional Nightcore", similar to the term "early Hardstyle", etc.), and they cover most of the ones that I like. I also include Italodance and some variations of Hardcore in the list, because they're pretty similar as well.

That's just my own word for it though. I have no expectation whatsoever that other people are going to call it that.

---
To find more enjoyable song for me while avoiding the ones I don't, I made the channel spreadsteet. Let me know the style you enjoy maybe I can help finding some more.
I have a list of (and follow on various media) the artists and labels covering the styles that I like, and that's usually enough for me :) If any new artusts pop up, then I tend to find out about it through SoundCloud or FB (and I can just speed-up their songs myself).

Very few channels upload songs by artists that I've never heard of before, so I mostly subscribe to show support and to get to know like-minded people, not to discover music :)
User avatar
Fernandez
Posts: 128
Joined: September 15th, 2013, 8:25 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by Fernandez » August 6th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Hey, I just stumbled upon your video:



Judging by the title, it looks like it was meant to be a troll video, but I actually see it as an educational tool. The video is pretty much this thread in video form. It definitely helps give people a better understanding of the problem when every sped up song is minimized to "nightcore."

If I was a newcomer to nightcore, I would sure be confused as hell. I wouldn't know what in the world nightcore was. I wouldn't know which music in that video is really nightcore. I would be less likely to search for nightcore in the future.
Image
Is sad about the Raiders moving to Las Vegas :(
User avatar
HKO2006
Posts: 768
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 8:30 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by HKO2006 » August 10th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Fernandez wrote:Hey, I just stumbled upon your video:



Judging by the title, it looks like it was meant to be a troll video, but I actually see it as an educational tool. The video is pretty much this thread in video form. It definitely helps give people a better understanding of the problem when every sped up song is minimized to "nightcore."

If I was a newcomer to nightcore, I would sure be confused as hell. I wouldn't know what in the world nightcore was. I wouldn't know which music in that video is really nightcore. I would be less likely to search for nightcore in the future.
Right, need to edit the title and the description.
Welcome to Nightcore Universe! Enjoy your stay as much as you enjoy the original Nightcore songs!
Useful threads/links
What is Nightcore 101
Nightcore Channel Database
Nightcore Know Your Meme
How to make Nightcore (NIGHTCORE TUTORIAL) UPDATED
Speeding up seems to be a little magic making things a little bit more appealing.

Rex
Posts: 2
Joined: December 18th, 2014, 3:13 am

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by Rex » December 18th, 2014, 3:17 am

I read your article,comments and I am sure you are wrong.I will try to explain why.Nightcore it`s a part of music and music it`s a Dance/Trance/Rock/Pop/Metal and other genres moreover nightcore it`s speed and pitch up songs so don't need to exaggerate.If you like listen to only Dance/Trance nightcore songs ok it`s your call but it doesn't mean who do other genres and anime op/ed too fake fans of nightcore because if think in this logic you will not be a fake fan but you will be a fanatic.Don`t judge other nightcores` makers because you are not the perfect as all of as and you can`t know everything so maybe it`s you don`t understand some things in this situation.I even not speak about how popular nightcore songs and makers wich you called fake (some of them have 100k + subscribers) if it would fake it wouldn`t so popular or Do you thing all of these people wrong ? C`mon.Music it`s a free will and free views so please stop impose your opinion like a fanatic (Yes that is how you look right now) and confused people they just want to share with people their favorite nightcore songs,respect people and don`t speak like your words are the only truth and you know everything about music especially the nightcore,no one can,as I said Music it`s a free will and free views.Actually if so many people like it isn't enough to prove you are wrong right now ? I think that's exactly what important in this situation and what can to judge our views
P.S.You can answer on that whatever you want I am speaking about facts and facts will not change,you are wrong this time.Question about the legal songs and other in this sence it`s an other topic all I can say right now all of this it`s not so siple as look.I speak about nature of nighcore right now.
P.S.S.That what I wanted to say about this article if I got your words wrong,forget my words if not I recommend you to think about this.
User avatar
rsslayersr
Posts: 407
Joined: April 2nd, 2014, 10:49 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by rsslayersr » December 18th, 2014, 6:40 am

Rex wrote:P.S.You can answer on that whatever you want I am speaking about facts and facts will not change,you are wrong this time.
Actually, you're speaking only about sentiment. The facts you brought up are mostly logical fallacies, with the biggest the bandwagon fallacy. Just because a lot, and I mean a lot, of people think it's right, doesn't make it right.

I can say the same about god. People believe in him, but it doesn't make him exist in my eyes.

A lot of people speed up music from all kinds of genres and call it Nightcore, but it doesn't mean that everything is Nightcore.

We here believe that the group called Nightcore (this link) who still continues to make songs in the same way as before like this one has made the definition Nightcore. Sped up Eurodance, Eurotranca and the likes.

Now, the name Nightcore is now linked to that particular sound and feel of music. We only want to preserve that definition, but many people have highjacked the lable, and now we can't know what we must expect when we click on a 'nightcore' video.

It is not Nightcore that is popular, but it's the sped up music you listen. People that support that Nightcore should be placed upon every video that has been sped up, are making things way more confusing than we are.
Rex wrote:Don`t judge other nightcores` makers because you are not the perfect a
We don't judge them, we just want it called something different. Our definition was first and makes the most logical sense, so it's fair enough for them to make a compensation.
Image
Enforcing the cute little sister of Happy Hardcore
Watch4FallingRock
Posts: 63
Joined: March 24th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by Watch4FallingRock » December 18th, 2014, 10:24 pm

I think people need to step back and not be so hard about what is and isn't nightcore.
Found this quote somewhere in the user uploads section, and I have to agree with this. It seems like people view nightcoring something like rock, pop, or hip hop as akin to giving the original group the middle finger.
original post wrote:For example, Rock without guitar and drums is not Rock and Nightcore without high pitched vocal and Happy Hardcore beats is not Nightcore.
Here's a song that doesn't have a guitar. It's Piano Man by Billy Joel.


Let's look up the genre of the song now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Man_%28song%29

As you can see, the genres it falls under are soft rock and folk rock, even though it lacks a guitar.

So that song can get away with being called rock, despite lacking the traditional instruments of rock.

Then I don't see why something like this can't be called nightcore:


Hell, Nightcore - Die Young sounds more similar to traditional nightcore than Billy Joel - Piano Man sounds similar to traditional rock.
User avatar
emilemil1
Posts: 544
Joined: July 30th, 2014, 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by emilemil1 » December 19th, 2014, 3:56 am

I've got to first of all question the use of an outlier as an example of what should be generally accepted, with Wikipedia as the source...

But regardless, Nightcore isn't a genre and should not be treated as such. The goal is to strive for a specific sound, a very concrete sound with clear examples, so there's not much room for interpretation. You can argue what does and doesn't sound like the originals, but only to a certain point.

Also, there is a big difference between, say, Rock and Soft Rock, or House and Deep House. So in that sense Piano Man isn't Rock, just as Martin Garrix's Animals isn't House, and Die Young isn't Nightcore. It's important to see subgenres for what they are, as brand new and often very differing spin-offs from the original sound, not as an evolution or an interpretation of the same thing.
User avatar
MagicScream
Posts: 108
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 2:11 pm
Location: Oregon - Portland

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by MagicScream » December 19th, 2014, 4:58 am

emilemil1 wrote:But regardless, Nightcore isn't a genre and should not be treated as such. The goal is to strive for a specific sound, a very concrete sound with clear examples, so there's not much room for interpretation. You can argue what does and doesn't sound like the originals, but only to a certain point.
So does that mean that "nightcoring" is nothing more than a very specific verb/action then? Not sure what you mean here.
Image
User avatar
emilemil1
Posts: 544
Joined: July 30th, 2014, 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any so

Post by emilemil1 » December 19th, 2014, 5:10 am

Nightcoring means to take a track of the appropriate genre and make Nightcore of it (speed it up). Guess that's pretty specific.
User avatar
DJ Yozora
Posts: 7
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 2:30 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any song

Post by DJ Yozora » August 11th, 2017, 7:37 am

Really interesting thoughts and facts you've shared with us. Thanks! I wish everyone would read this before starting a Nightcore channel on YouTube. Sadly most of the Nightcore fans out there in 2017 don't even know what Nightcore is…
And I include myself in this. We are the ignorant online-media users reproducing what we see. We see all “kinds” of Nightcore uploaded online, we do the same, without taking a moment to research what Nightcore is.
People say languages are subject to constant change due to their usage, so many words receive a new meaning. I think this is exactly what happened to Nightcore. The wrong usage of the word created a rule now. It's too late to go back. I am afraid to tell myself: "hey, be honest! What you did and liked all those years was not exactly Nightcore. Sometimes, actually many times we humans don't like the truth, although we seem to strive for it. The truth can be harsh, so we prefer to create lies and call them the truth, if they happen to make us feel better than the reality.
Not going to lie, for me Nightcore was always a YouTube video category with sped up music and anime pictures. It would be fair to find a new word for this “business “ though instead of stealing the term Nightcore, but since there is no word to describe that yet apart from the very wide term "speed up version", I refuse to rename my YouTube videos. The only thing I could do would be to stop uploading "fake Nightcore" from now on. However I don't think there is a way to solve this problem anymore. It's too late for Nightcore to regain its old meaning. There is no way so many people are going to want to give up that convenient little lie they've been living so happily with...
Image
User avatar
Flumpy6spoty
Posts: 6
Joined: July 31st, 2015, 12:27 am

Re: Why Nightcore is sped up dance/trance not sped up any song

Post by Flumpy6spoty » August 15th, 2017, 4:06 pm

In an interview in 2012 the original Nightcore group said that they were glad that other people started to Nightcore other songs instead of just dance/electronic
Post Reply